Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 39 - Final shoulder cladding, more gunbox stuffs

Finally attached the last of the bands after taking off the clamps from the front part I attached yesterday.  I was a bit ambitious this time, and attached both at the same time, hoping that I had enough clamps that were wide enough.  Looks like I did, but I had to steal from Peter to pay Paul, as it were.  I used all of them for the first side, then stole one at a time to clamp the second band.  While I was taking clamps off, I needed to rearrange things a bit so make sure everything was staying adhered to the spacers.  We'll see tomorrow if everything sticks.

Then I went back to the gunboxes and started marking things down.  Made a wee compass out of scrap HDF (again, ala AdamSt), making the space between the holes 4.65mm for a diameter of 9.3mm.  Then I marked the recesses in the side piece of the boxes, 14mm on the top and bottom, and I decided on 15mm for the angled line, since I didn't want to run into the rabbet on the other side (it's like 12mm, or something).  I used a US quarter (24mm diameter) to mark the rounded bottom corner.


But this is where I got confused. The plans show the side recess is 6.5cm wide, but the arrows don't actually extend that far on the page.  I've circled it for reference in my photo.  I measured that length and drew the corresponding line, but it looks narrower than what I've seen on other Dalek gun boxes, but maybe it's my imagination.  Or, maybe it's the angle that my gun boxes wound up being, and I should fudge the dimensions a bit.  Not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment