Saturday, October 5, 2013

Day 32 - Corrected shoulder spacers / top collar


Wow, I've been away too long!  Mostly due to work stuffs this time.  At least I got to spend some sunny time in Anaheim and Disneyland, though!  Pro tip: Go on a Wednesday or Thursday in early October; each ride is like a five-minute wait time.

Anyway, I spent a bit of today correcting for the incorrect 9cm measurement of the shoulder's lower collar spacers (they're actually 14.6cm as measured from the bottom).  I had mistakenly used the height of the outermost lower collar, instead.

Then, I measured out and scribbled the new line on the shoulders, and cut/glued additional spacer pieces to get it the right height, so that's all drying right now.

I also traced out the upper and lower collar ring templates on my heavy card stock, and jigsawed rough HDF versions that then soaked in the bathtub for an hour.  I clamped them onto the shoulders to dry out, and then glued them.  I will likely do the same for the bottom collar tomorrow once the glue for the adjusted spacers dries thoroughly.

I think one thing that got me in vapor-lock about Rainier (other than the fact that I got pretty busy with work stuff), is that I'm soon going to need a drill press, and that's a bit of a pricey purchase.  I'll need it for the 56 3.5" HDF discs for the hemis, the 24 1/2" holes for the neck strut blocks, the backing plates for the gazing globes (and the globes themselves?  Can I even drill through steel?), and probably a few more things I'm forgetting.  But I want to buy one that's fairly small, instead of a big stand-up unit.  I'll scour Craigslist to see if I can find one for a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment