Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 35 through 37 - Shoulder collars

Wash, rinse, and repeat of day 34, this time with the rest of the lower collar area.  Due to all the soaking, clamping, drying, gluing and re-clamping of one section at a time, this process took a couple of days (which is why I haven't written anything in a bit).  Also, because my clamps don't reach very high, I used slats of scrap wood to secure the tall collars, clamping them above and below.

I had picked up a tiny router at the store the other day for the express purpose of using it to trim the inner sides of the collars, but I thought I might actually try out a bit with the Dremel tool first.  I chose the trapezoid in the front to experiment on, drawing a line that wasn't the true line in case I messed up.  I liked the results, so I might just go this route for all the inner lines.  (Please note, the Dremel is unplugged and NOT running in that shot!)

Then, today, I started and finished attaching the outer band's spacers.  Call me weird, but I don't actually like how far it juts out on the actual prop, not to mention the fact that I think my Dalek's shoulders are slightly wider than what the plans call for.  So, I made these spacers only twice as wide (16mm) as the inner spacers (8mm).  This will shave off 3mm of space than what the plans say.

In this latest stack shot, I like the overall overhang, and can't wait for these to dry and to attach the final cladding.  I even picked up some Great Stuff expanding foam in anticipation.  I made sure to get the stuff that hardens completely (a misting of water also hastens the curing effect), as they also have one for windows that is meant to be squishy.

Also, I picked up some aluminum that I bought from onlinemetals.com, and was able to pick it up directly from the warehouse here in Seattle, saving on shipping.  I've got bits for both ends of the gun, the 8 rods, and .5" squares that will hopefully be shaped into the bottom part of the light cages.  I don't yet have metal for the rest of the light cages.  In addition, I took Avonlea22's tip for LED dome lights, and got those, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment