Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 33 - Gluing the top shoulder collar / shoulder front spacers

Today, before doing anything else, I went and bought a 5-speed bench drill press and a little, tiny router for when I attempt to free-hand trim the collar sections.  Also picked up some masking tape for the eventual protection (mummification!) of the shoulders for when I have my expanding foam party.

After I got home, I detached the clamps and looked at the resulting curvature of the collar pieces.  I wasn't nearly as afraid of these pieces as I was of the much bigger shoulder body pieces that I put on once upon a time.  I took some Liquid Nails and applied it to all the front spacers, and clamped the front piece on.  Then I did the same for the back piece.

I had to wrangle a few clamps to make room for my Dremel tool to get in and trim the ends so that the front and back collar pieces would be flush with each other.  Then I took two blocks of wood (the chaff from the fender struts) and clamped that over the seams.

The final bit I did today was to draw and add spacers to the recessed trapezoid design on the front of the shoulders, between the gunbox holes.  To get the sharp angles on the outer two spacers, I had to use my belt sander and just grind each spacer down.  Thinking on it now, I should have used my scroll saw.  Ah well, hürp-de-dürp.

I added those spacers, and now everything's drying.  I wanted to do more, but it was getting late, so I think I'll just play video games now!

No comments:

Post a Comment