Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 71 - Bump work

I've place another order for more chrome wheel trim for the dome like I used last time, as I was only left with enough to make the dome's one full-bisecting line, and nothing more.  I've also got some repair to do to the mold, where some of the gray gel-coat is pretty solidly stuck to it.  I'll need to take out the inserts that were left behind, and give everything a good sanding, cleaning, and polishing.

Today was not that day.

Nothing much to report today, though it was a full day, regardless.  I finished off cutting 56 3.5" disks for my hemispheres using the hole cutter, added the extra ventilation hole for glue curing, and then put bolts, washers, and nuts into 50 of them, torquing them tight.  I accidentally only bought two packs of 25 bolts each, thinking I was buying two packs of 50.  So oops, I ran out!

I also glued 16 of them, enough for the front four skirt panels.  I wore a latex glove to finger-smear around the edge to work the glue (Liquid Nails) in.  Once they're all cured, I'll attach them.  I'm waiting on painting everything because of the limited space in my garage, and I don't want to scrape or bump into paint while I'm working.  I'll trim the extra bits of plastic off of them later.

I also went to a place about 30 minutes south of me called Metal Supermarket and wandered around their floor, eventually selecting three aluminum tubes for my plunger arm: 1.5", 1.25", and 1", respectively.  These had a wall thickness of a 1/16" of an inch so that each tube can fit inside the next.  I'm going to need to figure out some way of making top hat bushings (perhaps from PVC) so that they sit snugly inside one another, and not rattle around loosely.

No comments:

Post a Comment