Monday, February 10, 2014

Day 62 - Rainier finds his voice

A lovely little parcel arrived on my doorstep this morning!  My MartMod voice modulator was delivered by the friendly UPS man (maybe not friendly ... maybe not a man!  No-one was there when I answered the door.  Well, no matter.)!

After unboxing and snapping a pic of it for Ferrain's benefit, I packed it back up and begrudgingly went to my job, wishing that time would move faster so that I could go home and play with it some more.  I brought it with me to show to my friend Jeff, and to ask him some electronics-related questions.

At lunch time, we hit up a local Radio Shack and bought in-line fuse holders, 5V fuses, and a 12V power adapter for testing the unit out.  He invited me over to his place after work so that I could use the soldering iron to connect the necessary bits together.

On the way to his place, I stopped by Staples and bought a headset with microphone to plug into the headphone and mic ports on the MartMod.

He had a spare set of 4-ohm speakers in a computer parts bin that we salvaged.  We stripped wires, soldered things together, covered it all up with electrical tape, and followed Ferrain's instructions to the letter, including testing everything on a multimeter.  Then, after hooking up the speaker to the unit, plugging the XLR cable into it, and finally plugging in the power adapter (making sure all dials were set at the 11 o'clock position), we switched the modulator on.

All that remained was to get into character.  And here are the first words I've ever spoken as a proper, modulated Dalek:


No comments:

Post a Comment