Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 45 - Laser cutting gunbox details / Dalek mummification

Today (Sunday) was a light workday.  I had to go into my office to get a head start on some day-job stuff, and when I finished, I decided to go up to Metrix Create:Space again and have them laser cut the gunbox details onto some 3mm baltic birch stock that they carry.  I had decided to settle on the dimensions that the 2005 plans called for, which was 13.8cm, rather than 14cm on another blueprint .pdf.  Here's a movie of them being cut!


When I got home, I took the clamps off the last cladding strips, drew some trim lines even with the front trapezoid piece, and dremeled them.  I then started to wrap the whole shoulder section in masking tape to prepare it for foaming.

As I reached certain sections, I started to get puzzled as to how I wanted to mask/shape everything when the time came.  Especially the area where the sides of the gun boxes meet the shoulders.  I've seen various different ways people have handled it in their own builds, and I'm wondering if it really matters since that area will be mostly hidden with a shoulder slat anyhow.  Anyway, I took a picture so that you can see what I'm talking about.

I also temporarily taped the gunbox details to the gunboxes because I wanted to see a "preview" of what they will look like when I eventually attach them.  They look so awesome!  I'll probably sand down the edges a bit, though, since the reference photos make them look a little rounded.

And, finally, the latest stack shot, showing how I've fully mummified the shoulders.  Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to sit that piece on so that I can go crazy with the foam this week.  I must say, I'm getting shivers as this beast gets closer and closer to completion!


No comments:

Post a Comment