Monday, January 27, 2014

Day 53 through 55 - Golly, more sanding

Well, I think I've pretty much had it with the Bondo/sand/Bondo/sand business, at least for the shoulder section.  I'm getting too bogged down with it, and it's sapping my initiative and motivation for the other parts I have yet to build.  And, since most of this work is going to be covered up with the armored slats, I think I'm going to call this DONE.  I put a bit of sandable primer on the front, just to check to see how glaring the pockmarks are, and they're not too bad.  I have Bondo spot putty, but I haven't used it yet.

My issue is that when I apply a new layer of Bondo (to fill previously discovered holes or to strengthen thin, squishy sections), I seem to find more and more pinholes.  My garage is awash in pink dust.  So, I'm going to make a few more passes with finer and finer grit sandpaper (320 and 600 (wet)), then reinforce it with fiberglass on the inside seams, and then prime it up.

My friend Matt thinks the shoulders are ready-to-wear.  I agree, but after priming and painting.  ;)

To increase my motivation, I think I'm going to try to tackle the dome.  I went and got a couple of cans of gelcoat (expensive stuff!) and four yards of thick chopped strand fiberglass matting.  Then, I followed AdamSt's instructions on how to draw out the dome template.  I bought a bookshelf a few months back, and the box contained several huge 1/2" sheets of styrofoam which I will cut up and recycle for the majority of the plug body.  It looks like there should be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment